Simon "Sy" d'Orien
Swashbuckling heir of House Orien
Simon “Sy” d’Orien, level 8
Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Assault
Background: Sharn (Streetwise class skill)
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 20, Wis 8, Cha 14.
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 14.
AC: 26 Fort: 18 Reflex: 22 Will: 21
HP: 69 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 17
Streetwise +11, Arcana +14, Diplomacy +11, History +14, Insight +8
Acrobatics +6, Bluff +6, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +5, Heal +3, Intimidate +6, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +9, Stealth +6, Thievery +6, Athletics +5
Human: Mark of Passage
Level 1: Connected
Level 2: Intelligent Blademaster
Level 4: Improved Initiative
Level 6: Powerful Charge
Level 8: Extended Teleportation
Bonus At-Will Power: Sword Burst
Swordmage at-will 1: Lightning Lure
Swordmage at-will 1: Luring Strike
Swordmage encounter 1: Blazing Pursuit
Swordmage daily 1: Dimensional Thunder
Swordmage utility 2: Dimensional Warp
Swordmage encounter 3: Dimensional Vortex
Swordmage daily 5: Theft of Alacrity
Swordmage utility 6: Quickling Stride
Swordmage encounter 7: Echoes of Sword Magic
Quicksilver Blade Short sword +2, Stanching Leather Armor +2, Cloak of Translocation +2
Find the Path, Phantom Steed, Water Walk, Linked Portal
5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character
- parents are the Orien’s top bean counters and contract writers, and as such were constantly on the move growing up
- parents are not marked and have little influence within the House, so when developed a powerful mark was sent to live with his Aunt Tamara, who is now a member of House Orien’s Patriarch’s Council in Passage
- lived the life of luxury because the Houses were making such huge profit from the war, and Sy would often “let stuff go missing” to make tonnes of extra money
- was planning to be in Cyre on the day of the Mourning, but luckily slept in, and it affected him badly. The Mourning caused him to realize that the war has only gone on this long because the Houses wanted it to go on indefinitely (perpetual war is great for business)
- when House Orien leadership was more concerned about rebuilding from the war instead of scaling back, felt confused and isolated, now is considering how he can use his wealth and connections to bring down the Houses from the inside and assuage his guilt
two goals for the character
- character’s goal: find a place in the world now that he is no longer proud to have Dragonmarked Blood
- player’s goal: get Sy wrapped up in the Ashbound and have opportunities to betray his House and family in order to do what he feels is right
two secrets about your character
- a secret he knows: House Orien was doing a lot of dirty dealing during the war that no one knows about
- a secret he doesn’t: Vivien is having a secret affair with Riel d’Lyrandar, which is why she has become so distant
three people that are tied to the character
Vivien d’Orien – older sister, were close growing up (only sense of constancy) but she’s drifted away because she’s having a secret affair with Riel, leaving Sy to wonder what the problem is. Vivien is assertive, convicted, and currently assigned to the enclave in Stormreach.
Devin ir’Liain – student of Wynarn University. Had a fling a few years back but it didn’t go anywhere. Talks a lot about the druids, especially the Ashbound, idealizing their connection to nature and so on. Fits “the philosopher” trope perfectly.
Tamara d’Orien – surrogate parent when mark manifested, charismatic leader and valiant warrior, now head of the Courier’s Guild and sits on House Orien’s Patriarch’s Council. The four years since The Mourning have been extremely hard on House Orien and extremely stressful for Tamara, who now has little time for Sy, leaving him to feel abandoned and isolated.
two memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has
“Ungh.” Sy winced at the sunlight. It felt like getting stabbed in the face. He sat up, planted his feet on the ground, and hastily threw some clothes on before he pulled back the curtain around his bed. Doors didn’t have much use among heirs of Orien.
He was still doing up the buckle on his belt as he entered the teleportation circle and nodded at the agent on duty. “I’m headed to Metrol today, if you would be so kind.” Sy walked to the centre of the circle, and closed his eyes. The jump happened so suddenly and smoothly and he found it disorienting to have one skyline instantly replaced with another. A second passed and he opened his eyes again, expecting to behold the familiar sight of Metrol. He was greeted, however, with the towers of Sharn, which were exactly what he was looking at just a moment ago.
“Look, I realize I’m a few hours late, but surely you can fit me in.” He turned to face the agent and only now realized that her face was ashen. She was still trying to find her words from when Sy first breezed into the chamber.
“Metrol has been attacked.” She finally stammered. Unable to meet Sy’s eyes, her gaze fell to the floor. “We just found out an hour ago. Cyre… is lost.”
“No.” Sy sat down with a thump, like a marionette that had its strings cut. And if I hadn’t slept in this morning? His heart was beating so loudly it deafened him. The room began to spin, and then there was only darkness.
Sy’s parents have remarked on occasion that he has a brilliant mind that is not being used to its full potential. He effortlessly memorizes facts and faces, can perform complex arithmetic in a blink, and learns more in an hour at a bookshelf than a scholar learns from a week at the library. But neither arcane nor academic pursuits have ever held any interest for Sy, likely because they hold no challenge for him. Skill at swordplay, the ability to physically protect the cargo, drawing on his mark – these tasks are daunting, and are therefore what Sy spends his time on.